SOOMAALIDA DALKA WAA LALA HOGGAAMIN DOONA THE NEW SOMALIA ROADMAP
DOOD FURAN: Aqoonsiga Khaatumo State??
“RESPECT ISLAMIC VALUES”
NIDAAMKA FEDERAALKU XAL UMA AHAN DHIBAATADA SOOMAALIDA
AFARTANGUURADII HIRGELINTA FAR SOOMAALIDA (1972 -2012)
R/wasaare Gaas Oo Dalbaday $10-Billion
Puntland :Shalay weey Orad xumeed maanta weey aragti xuntahay
Chatham House: British Government Consultation on Somalia
JUSTICE IN SOMALIA
HE WAS MURDERED ON 9 JULY 1989 IN MOGADISHU, SOMALIA.
Qaramada Midoobay go’aamisay in Hargeysa iyo Garowe laga Maamulo Muqdisho
5 kamid ah Madaxda Sare ee DFKMG ay saxiixeen Badda Soomaaliya…
London Conference on Somalia: Building Momentum
Shirka London oo ey isku hirdinayaan Dowladda Talyaaniga iyo Ingiriiska
PROF: CABDI ISMAACIIL SAMATAR (QUDBAD TAARIIKHI AH
DEMYSTIFYING BAADIYOW, A RESPONSE BY ABDULLAZIZ HAGI M. HUSSEIN
FAALO: Others (NUS 0.5) mar waliba “xaq ma ahan ee waa xal” maku imaan karaa xalka Soomaaliya
QABIIL QARAN MA DHISO
S.Y.L 15 MAY 1943
THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
World Report 2012: Somalia
Ethiopia: Future of last remaining human rights monitoring NGO in the balance
World Report 2012: Ethiopia
World Report 2012: Eritrea
World Report 2012
- Maxaa horyaallo ra'iisul wasaaraha la magacaabay? February 23, 2017Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed Cabdullahi Farmaajo, oo shalay la caleemo saaray, ayaa maanta magacaabay ra'iisul wasaare cusub.
- Daacish oo laga saaray garoonka diyaaradaha Mosul February 23, 2017Ciidamada dowladda Ciraaq ayaa la wareegay gacan ku haynta gigada diyaaradaha ee Mosul ka dib afar saacadood oo dagaal culus uu halkaasi ka dhacay.
- Koonfur Afrika oo bartilmaameed ka dhiganeysa "soo galootiga sharci la'aanta ah" February 23, 2017Dowladda Koonfur Afrika ayaa sheegtay inay billaabeyso howlgal lagu raadinayo soo galootiga sharcidarada ah ee ka shaqeeya xarumaha ganacsiga.
- Kashmiir oo laga mamnuucay in arooska qarash badan lagu bixiyo February 23, 2017Qeybta dowladda Hindiya ay maamusho ee Kashiimr ayaa laga mamnuucay arooska qarashka badan uu ku boxo, si looga hortago israafka.
- Dhinacyada ku dagaallamaya dalka Suuriya oo shir uu uga socda Geneva February 23, 2017Kullanka ayaa noqonaya kii ugu horeeyay ee Qaramada Midoobey ay horkeceyso oo muddo sanad ah ay isugu yimaadaan labada dhinac.
- Madaxweyne Farmaajo oo magacaabay ra'iisalwasaare February 23, 2017Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed Cabdullaahi Farmaajo ayaa ra'iisalwasaare u magacaabay Xasan Cali Kheyre.
- Dilka Kim Jong-nam: Kuuriyada Waqooyi oo cambaaraysay Malayshiya February 23, 2017Kuuriyada Waqooyi ayaa sheegtay in Malayshiya ay masuul ka tahay dilka mid ka mid ah muwaadiniinteeda ayna siyaasadaynayso soo celinta maydkiisa.
- Maksiko oo diiday siyaasadda tarxiilka ee Trump February 23, 2017Dawladda Maksiko ayaa cambaaraysay hannaan cusub oo uu soo saaray Maraykanku kaas oo lagu musaafurinayo dadka aan sharciga haysanin ee soogalootiga ah.
- Qaramada Midoobay oo abaarta u codsatay balaayin dollar February 23, 2017Qaramada Midoobay ayaa ka digtay in dad ka badan 20 milyan oo ku nool dalalka, South Sudan, Nigeria, Soomaaliya iyo Yemen ay qarka u saaran yihiin in ay gaajo u dhintaan.
- Turkiga oo dumarka milatariga ah u fasaxay in ay madaxa asturtaan February 23, 2017Milatariga ayaa ahaa waaxdii ugu dambaysay ee uu mamnuuc ka ahaa in dumarku ay madaxa asturtaan
- Wadahadalada Suuriya oo ka furmaya Geneva February 23, 2017Wareegii afaraad ee wadahadalada nabada Suuriya ayaa lagu wadaa in maanta ay ka furmaan magaalada Geneva.
- Maxkamadda UK: waa sharci in dhaqaale lagu xiro cidii lamaane ajnabi ah keensanaysa February 22, 2017Maxkamadda sare ee Britain ayaa go'aamisay in ay sharci tahay shuruudda dakhliga ee caqabadda ku noqday kumannaan ruux oo muwaaadiniin reer Britain ah oo raba in ay lamaane yaashooda keensadaan UK.
- Madaxweyne Farmaajo oo 12 arrimood kaga hadlay khudbadiisii maanta February 22, 2017Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed cabdullahi Farmaajo ayaa maanta lagu caleemo saaray caasimadda Soomaaliya ee Muqdisho.
- Ka qayb galkii madaxda gobolka Caleemo saarka Madaxweynaha maxaa laga dheehan karaa? February 23, 2017Xafladda Caleemasaarka Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed Cabdilaahi Farmaajo, waxaa maanta ka qayb galay saddex hoggaamiye oo wadamadda deriska ah, iyo masuuliyiin matalaya waddama kor u dhaafaya 120.
- Caleemo saarka Madaxweyne Farmaajo oo soo gabagabowday February 22, 2017Munaasabadda lagu caleemo saarayo madaxweyne Maxamed Cabdullahi Farmaajo ayaa hadda ku soo gabagabwday magaalada Muqdisho.
- Amnesty oo ka walaacsan siyaasadaha qaxootiga February 21, 2017Hay'adda u doodda xuquuqul insaanka ee Amnesty International, ayaa ku dhaliishay dowladaha caalamka in ay sababo siyaasadeed uga faa'iideysanayaan dadka qaxootiga ah
- Taariikhda madaxweyne Maxamed Cabdullahi Farmaajo February 22, 2017Xafladda caleemo saarka madaxweyne Farmaajo ayaa hadda ka socoto magaalada Muqdisho.
- Shan arrimood oo madaxweyne Farmaajo looga baahan yahay in uu si degdeg ah wax uga qabto February 22, 2017Madaxweynaha cusub ee Soomaaliya, Maxamed Cabdullahi Farmaajo waxaa horyaalla arrimo badan oo ay ka mid yihiim amniga, la dagaallanka musuqa, dowlad wanaagga, iyo abaaraha hadda Soomaaliya saameeyay.
- 'Ar Farmaajo iigeeya' oo BBC-da la hadlay February 22, 2017Cabdullahi Maxamuud Cusmaan oo ku caan baxay 'Ar Farmaajo iigeeya' ayaa BBC-da wareysi gaar ah siiyay.
- Trump oo beegsanaya muhaajiriinta sharci la'aanta ah February 21, 2017Muhaajiriinta sharci darrada ah ee ku nool Maraykanka ayaa wajahaya tallaabooyin adag oo dhalin kara in dalkaasi laga musaafuriyo.
- Maxaa horyaallo ra'iisul wasaaraha la magacaabay? February 23, 2017
- Somalia and the G8: Push to start April 10, 2013This week, as part the UK’s Presidency of the G8, Foreign Ministers will meet to discuss the need to encourage the International Financial Institutions (IFIs) to re-engage in Somalia. The G8 countries are some of the largest shareholders in both the World Bank and the IMF. As a result, the UK is using its Presidency […]Matt Baugh
- Opportunity, partnership and commitment. March 18, 2013Last Thursday, the Federal Government of Somalia, together with the UK, hosted the latest meeting with a number of key international partners in Mogadishu. The location was significant. This was the first time such a meeting had been held in Mogadishu since the Federal Government came to power last year. It was a real demonstration […]Matt Baugh
- Giving voice to Somalia’s silent majority March 14, 2013International Women’s Day is a global opportunity to celebrate and promote the rights of women. It is a chance for all of us, men and women, to unite under a single, common aim – gender equality. This is particularly pertinent in Somalia. Everyone in Somalia has suffered from decades of often unrelenting conflict. But Somalia’s […]Matt Baugh
- From the Olympic village to Somalia – FCO women’s stories March 6, 2013In the lead up to International Women’s Day on Friday, we are featuring the stories of women who work for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as guest posts across the FCO bloggers’ network. Jane Stevens and Tracey McLelland are a successful job sharing duo who are part of the communications team working on the upcoming […]Matt Baugh
- Somalia: A New Year’s Resolution – Together into 2013 January 9, 2013A year ago, few predicted that Somalia would see such significant changes; yet 2012 saw some real progress in Somalia – including the end of the Transition; a new Parliament (with a significant number of new MPs); the election of a new, reform-minded Speaker and President and a desire for a different type of politics. […]Matt Baugh
- Somalia: Breaking The Silence On Sexual Violence November 27, 2012Earlier this year, the British Foreign Secretary William Hague MP, announced a new initiative to prevent sexual violence against women. It aims to strengthen international efforts and coordination to prevent and respond to sexual violence, to erode the existing culture of impunity, to increase the number of perpetrators brought to justice and to support stat […]Matt Baugh
- Politics, partnership and patience. November 20, 2012So the final piece of the post-Transition jigsaw has finally fallen into place. Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon’s 10-person Council of Minister is now approved – overwhelmingly – by Parliament and with it, the final act of a two-month process to find Somalia’s new leaders. Put before Parliament last week, their near-unanimous approval of the […] […]Matt Baugh
- Somalia: stepping into the future September 11, 2012Yesterday, Somalia marked a major milestone in its recent history. After two decades of civil war, and a year after the Roadmap was agreed, the Transitional Period finally concluded with the election by MPs of new President Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud. This was the first such election inside Somalia for many years and came just weeks after […]Matt Baugh
- Somalia: Taking Stock of the Transition August 22, 2012On Monday, Somalia marked a significant milestone in its history. Twenty years after the country fell into conflict, a new Federal Parliament was inaugurated – paving the way to end the Transition in the next few days, and opening the first legislature to be formed inside Somalia since 1991. This is a huge achievement, both for the […]Matt Baugh
- Celebrating Somali Olympic heroes August 2, 2012The following is a guest blog by Fionna Gibb, Deputy Head of Mission at the British Office for Somalia. As Ambassador Matt Baugh is on leave, last Friday I had the pleasure of hosting the British Office for Somalia’s reception in Mogadishu to celebrate the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics. As the sun set […]Matt Baugh
- Somalia and the G8: Push to start April 10, 2013
Calanside Chief Qaali
“NON PAPER” TO END THE SOMALI TRANSITION
Farole: TFG Uma Madaxbanaana
IN RESPONSE TO THE “LETTER TO THE DIASPORA” BY THE PRIME MINISTER
No Place for Children
- Moment Green MediaWar deg deg ah: PUNTLAND OO si cad uga soo horjeesatey Doorashadii KHAATUMO ay ku doorteen Cali KHAL
- CalankaSomaliaMadaxda Khaatumo oo u jawaabey madaxweyne Faroole Madaxda maamulka Khaatumo ayaa maanta shir jaraa’i
- CalankaSomaliaSomali government appoints new administration for Hiiraan region Sunday, March 11, 2012 Somalia’s pr
- CalankaSomaliaDalka Uu Siiyay Madaxweyne Faroole (Moment Media Group) Muqdisho Sunday, March 11th, 2012 (Moment Me
- CalankaSomaliaC/raxmaan Faroole oo sheegay in DKMG Somalia aaney Puntland la’aanteed wada hadal la geli karin maam
- CalankaSomaliaWiilka Madaxweynaha Punland oo dubay qarash badan ugu soo diray qurba jooga ku nool wadamada Yurub s
- CalankaSomaliaMalez Zanawi:Ciidamada Amisom Aduun lacageed lasiiyaa Muqdisho masoo dhaafin Ayadoo gudaha adalka So
- CalankaSomaliaMidowga Yurub oo kordhiyay mudada uu soconayo howlgalka la dagaalanka burcadbadeedda Soomaaliya Isni
- Xildhibaano garaayo 320 xildhibaan oo xilkana ka qadaay Gudoomiyihii hore ee Barlamaanka Shariif Xasan oo doonayo in xubinimda Igad Soomaaliya ka baxdo (3)
- DOOD FURAN: Aqoonsiga Khaatumo State?? (2)
- Ra’iisul Wasaaraha Soomaaliya oo Rome kulan kula qaatay Jaaliyadda Soomaaliyeed, booqashana ku tegey Xafiisyada Safaarada (1)
- War Murtiyeedka Shirka London oo Hordhac ahaan loo Heley (1)
- Shirkii IGAAD oo soo dhamaday iyo qodobo ka soo baxay (Daawo soo dhoweynta Madaxweyne Shariif) (1)
- Hillary Clinton oo ka hadashay midnimada Somaliya (1)
- Xuska Mowliidka Nabiga CSW oo si weyn loogu diyaar garoobayo magaalada Muqdisho iyo gobolada dalka (1)
- Shir Jaraaid oo ay Qabteen Maamulka khaatumo stat of Somalia (1)
- Ingiriiska iyo Holland oo ku heshiiyay in la ballaariyo la dagaalanka burcad badeeda Soomaaliya (1)
- DAAWO VEDIO: Khudbadii Gudoomiyaha Cusub ee Gobolka Hiiraan C/Fataax X. Afrax oo Maanta lagu Magacaabay Wareegtada Madaxweynaha DKMG ah (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (1)
- October 2015 (1)
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (7)
- December 2014 (2)
- November 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (3)
- March 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (3)
- November 2012 (2)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (11)
- August 2012 (18)
- July 2012 (15)
- June 2012 (19)
- May 2012 (9)
- April 2012 (21)
- March 2012 (53)
- February 2012 (66)
- January 2012 (42)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
SOMALIA FAMINE RESPONSE TOO SLOW, THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DIED NEEDLESSLY: REPORT
- Hassan Ali Khaire, an Oil Executive, Is Picked to Be Somalia's Prime Minister - New York Times February 23, 2017New York TimesHassan Ali Khaire, an Oil Executive, Is Picked to Be Somalia's Prime MinisterNew York TimesSomalia's new president, Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, lost little time in nominating a prime minister, as his country works to right itself under a new government after a quarter-century of conflict, terrorism and devastating drought. In a first f […]
- Tackling hunger crises in South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria and Yemen requires $4.4 billion – UN - UN News Centre February 22, 2017UN News CentreTackling hunger crises in South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria and Yemen requires $4.4 billion – UNUN News Centre22 February 2017 – Sounding the alarm on behalf of more than 20 million people in South Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, and north-east Nigeria facing devastating levels of food insecurity, Secretary-General António Guterres joined other top United N […]
- Somalia hopes to discard its fake 1,000 shilling banknotes, and print ... - Quartz February 22, 2017QuartzSomalia hopes to discard its fake 1,000 shilling banknotes, and print ...QuartzThe collapse of the Somali government in 1991 saw the rise of unique political, economic and social outfits, all clambering to fill the void of government ...altro »
- Asylum seeker says husband, mother were killed on wedding day in Somalia - CBC.ca February 23, 2017CBC.caAsylum seeker says husband, mother were killed on wedding day in SomaliaCBC.caThe 23-year-old Somali woman spent the days after her marriage in July fleeing — first to a relative's home in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, and then to countries across the world, including Ecuador, Colombia and Costa Rica. She finally made it to the ...altro »
- WFP Somalia Country Brief, January 2017 - ReliefWeb February 23, 2017ReliefWebWFP Somalia Country Brief, January 2017ReliefWebSomalia is now in a state of drought emergency, with the severity ranging from moderate to extreme. In a post-Deyr assessment report released in early February by the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit for Somalia (FSNAU) and the Famine Early ...altro »
- Somalia's diaspora poets step into the mainstream - CNN February 22, 2017CNNSomalia's diaspora poets step into the mainstreamCNNOne quick search on YouTube throws up hundreds of videos of young poets talking about their connection to Somalia in Canadian, Swedish or US vernaculars, among many others. These videos reach tens of thousands of people around the world.
- Pastoralists rely on hosts and aid to beat drought in Somalia - africanews February 23, 2017africanewsPastoralists rely on hosts and aid to beat drought in SomaliaafricanewsAt Turkaraq – a village in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region, a group of pastoralists have set up camp. They travelled long distances in search of water and pasture. While movement is part of life for Somalia's pastoralists – in the last year ...altro »
- Securing Somalia - Foreign Affairs February 20, 2017Foreign AffairsSecuring SomaliaForeign AffairsAfter several months of delay, a new president of Somalia was elected on February 8, 2017. The fact that an election took place at all should be counted a success. Despite the so-called Somali New Deal Compact of September 2013, in which the country's ...Death toll in Somalia marketplace blast rises to 34Fox […]
- UN Boosts Aid for Ethiopia, Somalia to Head Off Famine - Voice of America February 21, 2017Voice of AmericaUN Boosts Aid for Ethiopia, Somalia to Head Off FamineVoice of AmericaU.N. aid agencies are appealing to international donors to provide money to scale up lifesaving operations in drought-stricken Ethiopia and Somalia, where millions of hungry people are at risk of death and illness. Five years after a devastating 2011 ...Somalia food crisis […]
- Farmaajo inaugurated as the ninth President of Somalia - ReliefWeb - ReliefWeb February 22, 2017Farmaajo inaugurated as the ninth President of Somalia - ReliefWebReliefWebMohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo was today inaugurated as the ninth president of Somalia in a colourful ceremony attended by over 1200 people including two ...altro »
- Hassan Ali Khaire, an Oil Executive, Is Picked to Be Somalia's Prime Minister - New York Times February 23, 2017
- 15 Years Behind Bars in Eritrea
- Kenya Is Abandoning Somali Refugees
- Provide Genuine Refuge to World’s Displaced
- Q&A: The Case of Hissène Habré before the Extraordinary African Chambers in Senegal
- At Ex-Dictator’s Trial, Women Reveal Dark Secrets
- Senegal: Dictator on Trial
- Senegal: Trial of Chad Ex-Dictator Begins
- Daniel Bekele
- Peter Bouckaert
- Zama Coursen-Neff
- Geert Wilders suspends election campaign over alleged security leak February 23, 2017Dutch far-right leader stops campaigning in public for March polls after a member of his security team is arrestedThe Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders and his populist Freedom party have suspended all public campaigning for next month’s parliamentary elections following an alleged security leak.Wilders, current frontrunner for the Netherlands’ gener […]Jon Henley European affairs correspondent
- New claims over scale of ex-Gambian leader's theft from state coffers February 23, 2017Ministers say scale of looting by autocratic former leader Yahya Jammeh was much higher than originally thought and that he left country $1bn in debtThe former Gambian president Yahya Jammeh stole far more money from the state than previously thought, the new government has alleged, leaving the country with a “monstrous debt” of more than $1bn.The autocratic […]Ruth Maclean in Dakar and Saikou Jammeh in Banjul
- Irish leader calls for united Ireland provision in Brexit deal February 23, 2017Enda Kenny says deal should allow for Northern Ireland to rejoin EU should it be united with Irish RepublicIreland wants a special provision in any Brexit deal to allow Northern Ireland to rejoin the EU should it be united with the Republic.The taoiseach, Enda Kenny, said in Brussels that the deal between the EU and the UK should include language that would […]Daniel Boffey in Brussels
- Former IMF chief gets four years in jail for embezzlement in Spain February 23, 2017Rodrigo Rato found guilty of misuse of corporate credit cards issued by banks whose near collapse sparked EU bailoutThe former International Monetary Fund chief Rodrigo Rato has been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison for misusing corporate credit cards while in charge of two leading Spanish banks at the height of the country’s financial crisis.Rat […]Sam Jones
- Iraqi forces seize Mosul airport from Isis as Syrian rebels take al-Bab February 23, 2017Isis’s hold weakens as Iraqi troops plan last big push to retake Mosul while loss of al-Bab is big blow to terror group in SyriaBattlefield defeats in Iraq and Syria continued to splinter Islamic State’s hold on both countries on Thursday, with Mosul airport seized by advancing Iraqi forces and the town of al-Bab finally falling to Syrian rebels.Backed heavi […]Martin Chulov
- Teenagers blockade Paris schools in protest over alleged police rape February 23, 2017More than a dozen high schools targeted and vehicles set ablaze amid anger at police after alleged assault on young black manTeenage demonstrators have blockaded more than a dozen high schools in and around Paris, mounting makeshift barricades and setting fire to cars, scooters and rubbish bins, in protest at the alleged rape of a young black man by police.A […]Jon Henley
- North Korea demands 'sinister' Malaysia stop investigating Kim Jong-nam death February 23, 2017State news agency insists leader’s half-brother died of heart attack not poisoning, and blames South Korea for ‘conspiratorial racket’North Korea has lashed out at Malaysia over the death of Kim Jong-nam, accusing it of having a “sinister purpose” and collaborating with South Korea, which has said Pyongyang agents assassinated Kim Jong-un’s half-brother.In t […]Oliver Holmes South-east Asia correspondent
- Israel's rightwing justice minister hails supreme court appointments February 23, 2017Three conservatives – one a settler – and Arab-Israeli to sit in 15-member court in move seen as victory for Ayelet Shaked Israel has appointed three new conservative judges, including a settler, to its 15-member supreme court, in what is being painted as a victory for Israel’s rightwing justice minister, Ayelet Shaked, in her campaign to alter the political […]Peter Beaumont in Jerusalem
- Trump administration rescinds Obama-era protections for transgender students February 23, 2017US withdrew guidance stating federal law requires transgender students to have unfettered access to bathrooms and locker rooms matching their gender identityThe Trump administration has withdrawn a piece of federal guidance requiring transgender students to have unfettered access to bathrooms and locker rooms matching their gender identity, in a move that co […]David Smith in Washington and Molly Redden in New York
- Mexico's sugar tax leads to fall in consumption for second year running February 22, 2017Health experts are watching the progress of the tax to see if it will lower the rates of obesity-related diseases and type 2 diabetesMexico’s sugar tax appears to be having a significant impact for the second year running in changing the habits of a nation famous for its love of Coca-Cola, and will encourage countries troubled by obesity and contemplating a […]Sarah Boseley Health editor
- Exoplanet discovery: seven Earth-sized planets spotted orbiting nearby star February 23, 2017Exoplanets found orbiting Trappist-1 raise hope that the hunt for alien life beyond the solar system can start much sooner than previously thoughtA huddle of seven worlds, all close in size to Earth, and perhaps warm enough for water and the life it can sustain, has been spotted around a small, faint star in the constellation of Aquarius. Related: This disco […]Ian Sample Science editor
- Swedish MEP says Boris Johnson's liberation comment crossed 'red line' February 23, 2017Anna Maria Corazza Bildt says she spoke out in part because her own parents had been liberated from the NazisThe Swedish MEP who publicly took Boris Johnson to task over his description of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU as a “liberation” has said she spoke out in part due to her own family’s treatment at the hands of the Nazis.The British foreign secretary […]Daniel Boffey in Brussels
- French elections: Emmanuel Macron and François Bayrou form alliance February 22, 2017Self-described outsider and centrist take surprise step of joining forces as veteran of three elections says France is at ‘extreme risk’ and needs ‘exceptional response’Emmanuel Macron’s presidential campaign has been boosted by a surprise alliance with veteran centrist François Bayrou.Bayrou, the perennial “third man” of French politics, surprised supporter […]Kim Willsher in Paris
- Police make arrests at Standing Rock in push to evict remaining activists February 22, 2017Officials have set a Wednesday deadline to evacuate Oceti Sakowin, a key encampment in the fight against the Dakota Access pipelineOnly a few dozen people remained at the Dakota Access pipeline protest encampment on Wednesday night after the state’s eviction deadline saw most of the activists leave voluntarily amid a show of force from law enforcement in rio […]Sam Levin in San Francisco
- Republican lawmakers face town hall crowds' fury during 'resistance recess' February 22, 2017Frustrated constituents make their views known to representatives around the country, focusing anger on Trump’s immigration and healthcare plansCongresspeople nationwide have been facing angry crowds, protests and tough questions during this week’s congressional recess, a time when senators and representatives often return to their home districts and hold “t […]Jamiles Lartey and agencies
- UN's Syria envoy pledges 'serious try' as peace talks resume in Geneva February 23, 2017UN talks resume in Geneva with Russia asking the Syrian air force to respect the ceasefire but little prospect of departure for AssadThe UN special envoy to Syria has said he will give the latest round of peace talks that resumed in Geneva on Thursday “a serious try”, but cautioned against talking about a breakthrough in attempts to end the six-year civil wa […]Patrick Wintour in Geneva
- Russia builds replica Reichstag so children can recreate 1945 victory February 22, 2017Defence minister says model will allow re-enactment of Red Army’s capture of Berlin in 1945 – a patriotic rallying point for Putin The Russian defence ministry is constructing a replica of the Reichstag at a military theme park on the outskirts of Moscow, to allow patriotic Russian children to recreate the storming of the building during the Soviet capture o […]Shaun Walker Moscow correspondent
- Trump's feminist critics gagged by Chinese internet giant Weibo February 22, 2017Ban may reflect Beijing’s nervousness about the state of US-China relations in the Trump eraChinese feminists have hit out at their country’s answer to Twitter after it gagged one of their movement’s most visible social media accounts in an apparent bid to stifle criticism of US president Donald Trump.The “Feminist Voice in China” account on social networkin […]Tom Phillips in Beijing
- Turkey lifts military ban on Islamic headscarf February 22, 2017Army was final Turkish institution in which women were prohibited from wearing headscarvesTurkey will lift a ban on female officers wearing the Islamic headscarf in the officially secular country’s armed forces, according to state media.The military was the final Turkish institution where women were prohibited from wearing the headscarf, after reforms by the […]Agence France-Presse in Istanbul
- Former Hong Kong leader Donald Tsang jailed for corruption February 22, 201772-year-old sentenced to 20 months in prison for misconduct in office, becoming city’s highest-ranking official to be jailedThe former Hong Kong leader Donald Tsang has been sentenced to 20 months in jail for misconduct in public office, making him the most senior city official to be imprisoned in a ruling some said reaffirmed the territory’s vaunted rule of […]Reuters in Hong Kong
- Geert Wilders suspends election campaign over alleged security leak February 23, 2017
AFTER THE KENYAN INTERVENTION IN SOMALIA
ETHIOPIA: FORCED RELOCATIONS BRING HUNGER, HARDSHIP
- South Africa plans drive against illegal foreign workers February 23, 2017The crackdown follows recent attacks on foreigners which has led to protests in Nigeria.
- Fox show apologises for Kenya Westgate attack video February 23, 2017The producers of 24: Legacy say footage of the 2013 Nairobi attack will be cut from all broadcasts.
- Zimbabwe denies birthday snub for Isa Hayatou February 23, 2017Thursday's gathering of African football bosses and Fifa president Gianni Infantino in Zimbabwe is about 'celebrations' not 'football matters', says its organiser.
- The Gambia: Jammeh's spy master Yankuba Badjie arrested February 22, 2017Mr Badjie is said to have personally presided over torture sessions under ex-President Yahya Jammeh.
- South Africa's decision to leave ICC ruled 'invalid' February 22, 2017A South African court says the government had no right to leave the ICC without consulting parliament.
- Poachers kill two rhinos at South Africa's Thula Thula orphanage February 22, 2017The gang broke into the South African reserve on Monday, taking staff hostage.
- Nigeria-UK artist Adeniyi Olagunju 'addicted to creative process' February 23, 2017Nigerian-British artist Adeniyi Olagunju, who takes everyday objects and reshapes them in surprising ways, says he is "addicted to the creative process".
- Helping Ghanaian children through a love of reading February 23, 2017From dozens to thousands, how a Ghanaian charity has helped children improve their spelling
- Why is UAE building a military base in Somaliland? February 22, 2017The United Arab Emirates is building a military base in Berbera in Somalia's self-declared republic of Somaliland.
- 'An aircraft knows no sex' - female fighter pilot February 21, 2017A 24-year-old second lieutenant tells the BBC how she became Zambia's first female fighter pilot.
- Ravaged by war, now famine hits South Sudan February 21, 2017A state of famine has been declared in parts of South Sudan, the first globally since 2011. Alastair Leithead reports.
- Nigeria's Boko Haram crisis: Football returns to Maiduguri February 21, 2017Life is returning to normal in Maiduguri, Nigeria's north-eastern city worst hit by the Boko Haram insurgency.
- Ghana assistant coach in sit-in protest February 23, 2017A Spanish member of Ghana's coaching staff at this year's Nations Cup is refusing to leave an Accra hotel until he is paid his salary by the FA.
- South Africa denies gunpoint query request February 23, 2017South Africa's FA (Safa) denies receipt of a letter from the country's footballers union calling for an investigation into Clifton Miheso, the Kenyan who claims he was forced to end his contract at gunpoint in January.
- Dickens Olewe: How Africa is struggling to cope with fake news February 16, 2017Are African media dealing with fake news effectively?
- Fergal Keane: Refereeing warlords in the age of Trump February 15, 2017A change of attitude towards peace missions under President Trump could spell disaster for places like CAR.
- Pumza Fihlani: The mentally ill patients killed in care homes February 12, 2017The silent deaths of 94 mentally ill patients in South Africa is symptomatic of their place in society, but their families want explanations, writes the BBC's Pumza Fihlani.
- Drought battle February 19, 2017Kenyan herders are giving their own food to animals to keep them alive during the severe drought.
- Africa's top shots: 10-16 February 2017 February 17, 2017A selection of the best photos from across Africa this week.
- Africa's 2016 in pictures December 31, 2016A selection of the most striking news images from the African continent this year.
- South Africa plans drive against illegal foreign workers February 23, 2017
- Hassan Ali Khaire, an Oil Executive, Is Picked to Be Somalia’s Prime Minister February 23, 2017
- Why 20 Million People Are on Brink of Famine in a ‘World of Plenty’ February 23, 2017
- Congo Opens Inquiry Over Video of Massacre It Had Derided as Fake February 22, 2017